Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Polaris 2006

  Posted by PicasaTeam Goanna competed in the 2006 Polaris in the Delegate region on the weekend. Day one was eventful indeed, we started out very well but ended up geographically challenged after 4 controls. We broke many of the core orienteering rules but had justification for our decisions at the time! A series of disasters including me losing front brakes and Graeme breaking a deralliuer hanger saw us placed well down the field after day 1.

Camp was nice but we didnt partake in any festivities... Our shanty town was excellent and lasted the whole night without a problem. I slept on my map so when I woke up in the morning I thought I was skydiving! ;-) Our neighbours werent so lucky, a possum decided to do number ones on their tent! The poor old possum must have peed himself again as he had about 20 headlamps aimed up the tree trying to find him!

Day 2 rocked. Perfect navigation and fast riding saw us make up about 30 places. I did crack on the second ascent of Mt Delegate... so much so that at one stage I was soo dizzy that I nearly rode off the edge. I must have looked shabby because one team took photos of my "grimmace" as I passed them.

Monday was spent watching daytime TV flat out on the floor. Next up for Team Goanna is the urban 24 hour in Canberra. Cant wait!

No comments: