Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Adventure in Kooti


2005_1210
Originally uploaded by cnschulz.
Well, where to start? (those who know me well will know this is true) Here I am sitting in the Kootingal Hotel (just oustide Tamworth) in the "restaurant" updating my blog. Ive got no mobile signal so Im on the laptop. With all the shiny wizzbangery I have with me I could fully tell these people that I am "The Overlord Zog" from planet "Gangbang" and that the pub is now mine... ha ha haaaahaaaa aaaaaalllll miiiiiine!... OK... so Ive decided not to do that. Yet.



What a day. Drove up to Tamworth this morning to see the Boy. Cant get a freaking park in that town! Christmas shoppers and holiday makers... what a frightful combination! The time with Felix was great but gee it seems to go so fast now! We played in the turtle pool, made Mr Potato head and went for a ride on Daddys bike. Feeding the ducks was cool too. Since my (second) secret campsite has how become private land, I decided to be adventurous and find a new one. I fancied a river side lot this time so I headed north-west out past Kootingal. After a bit of exploring I found and excellent contender plus one backup. Both require a reasonable amount of off-road action so I didnt push it with the hire car (was on mountain bike).



On the way back through Kootingal, I was trying to figure out how I could avoid staying in the $49 per night Tamworth CrapTel. I drove past the Kootingal Hotel and though "Bugger it, Im up for adventure!". I enquired as to the rooms and didnt expect much for the $25 double. Its really cool though! The rooms are nice and clean and have all that old pub furniture, you know, the good sturdy stuff. The people are really friendly too... Ive walked into some country/outback pubs and heard that pin drop and thought "fuck, these people are gunna kill me". But the people a Kootingal are cool. Blokes even give you the two finger wave (not the Sydney two finger salute) and every one says G'day. This place is a definetly number one on the "shit, its raining and cold and I'm just not into pitching a tent in the dark" list.



Barnsey is on the jukebox now. Im doing Karaoke in my head. Just trying to keep it in the head... dont grab the pool cue and use it as a microphone... doooont.



I only got to go to Mexico for 6 days, and maybe Ill never get to go overseas again but fuck man, Ive had more adventures in my "backyard" than many people would ever dream of. I know Helensburgh better than the people that freaking *live* there (Steve, Hailey, Im talking about you!). You dont need to have expensive gear to be an adventurer. You dont need to go to exotic places to be an adventurer. To be an adventurer you just have to be adventurous... open to whatever... open to shit happening, and you should let shit happen good *and* bad because more often than not you look back and think "fuck that rocked". The best times in my life have been had either when I am stone flat broke or Ive got a backpack on my back. Or both.



Life is sweet, but not rich.



Have fun, happy trails, rock on...



BTW... (Christophe, Rob) Ive had two beers and someone just put "Thunderstruck" on the jukebox... somebody save this place from me...

/
AC - DC
/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HaaHaaaaHaaaaaaaaAAaaaaaa..."Thunder!"
HaaHaaaaHaaaaaaaaAAaaaaaa..."Thunder!"
"Thunder!" "Thunder!" "Thunder!" "THUNDERSTRUCK"!!!!

*sigh*...sweet memories. I hope Marty's burned that tape.