Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Snowline Adventure

 Ive had an awesome holiday! I had Felix for Christmas and Santa bought him a bike... His face was priceless when he unwrapped it: "Awwwwww! A Biiiiiike!!". Form there I headed down to Jindabyne to the XMas 5 days orienteering carnival. It was great fun but it was far too hot so not many other activities were done.

On Sat 31st I headed up to Charlotte Pass and started a 3 day walk. Went up Kozzy and then around to Mt Townsend. Mt Townsend rocks! I camped basically at the top, at about 2200m. I watched the sun set and was then attacked by thousands of moths. At 4am I awoke to a furious wind rocketing over the tent. I opened my eyes and saw stars. The tent was still up, checked again, still there... then I figured it was some wierd high altitude glowing bug so I stuck my head out the door to see, nothing. I can only summise that it was static electricity caused by the windspeed over the 2 tent layers. Whatever it was, it was cool.

Got up and saw the sunrise on Mt Townsend. Then treked over to Curruthers Peak, Mt Twynam and Mt Anton. Backtracked to Blue Lake and camped near Headley Tarn. The wind was around 100km/h and that made walking in a straight line very difficult. Then came the rain, short, sharp downfalls. At one point I crouched behind a small (and the only) rock as the rain was stinging my face and arms even through my Jacket and two thermal layers!. By the time I reached the campsite it was clear and it was lovelly listening to the running water, camped right next to snowfall.

Day 3 was an easy walk out. I followed the Blue Lake River down to the Snowy and then followed it for a while before shooting back up to Chalotte Pass. Along the Snowy I found spa pools and excellent swimming holes. I took a lovelly skinny dip in the Snowy but when I was taking a few photos the camera fell right in 2m deep water. I dried it out over 2 days and all is well! cant believe it!

Im at Merimbula now at Mum and Dads, Heading back up to Sydney tomorrow to change loads from holiday mode to Felix mode, then heading up to Tamworth to spend some time with him. Might even pop out to Dubbo to see my (real) Dad...  Posted by Picasa

No comments: